Thursday 10 November 2011

SFContario

So it turns out I won't be at Hal-Con this year since I didn't get on programming due to some miscommunications. I'm sorry I'll miss all the cool and fun people (you know who you are!), but the budget is tight this year and cons have to pay for themselves. And programming is the golden ticket to getting known.

But no biggie - the con-com is awesome and barring any horrible circumstances, I'll be there next year!

So now my next and final con of the year is SFContario!  I'll only be there on the Sunday since the Saturday evening is the reprise of Chasing Boudicca.  But I refuse to miss out on SFContario and my first ever Aurora Awards ceremony!  Well, okay, I've been to two ceremonies, but this is my first year being on the ballot, so that's fun.  Freakin' fun!

I'll be at the Aurora Awards brunch and ceremony, of course, but also at:

Reading
1:30 pm, Parkview
I think I'll read from Destiny's Fall, the sequel to Destiny's Blood.  Not sure yet. Maybe from my diary, too. Little Marie's deep thoughts are always a success (truly).


The Business of Writing
2 pm, Solarium
Marie Bilodeau(M), Leah Bobet, Robert J. Sawyer, John Scalzi, Douglas Smith


I've been on panels with most of these fine writers over the past few years and they're made of win. I'm thrilled that this year's last panel will be with such great people!

I'm moderating that panel again, which is funny. I don't know how I turned out to moderate most of my panels this year, but I'm enjoying it. Sometimes it's easy - I know the topic well and have a good idea what listeners are looking for. Other times it's a struggle because I have no idea what the panel is about and neither do any of the panelists. That's when I ask really strange questions such as "what's your association with reality?"  Thankfully most panelists are game for a little play time.

The worst part is scrambling to save a panel you can tell is tanking.  That's not always easy, sometimes completely impossible. But trying can be fun, too!  At least I know that my last panel of 2011 will be a success, unless none of the panelists show up, for some strange reason (I'm watching you all!)

So I hope to see you SFContario and, if you're in town, come to Chasing Boudicca on the 19th. I'll blog more about that next week!

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the reading Marie, and to you receiving your very first Aurora award! The first of many, I'm sure.

    My only question is thus: Would wearing a suit for the ceremony be over the top? You see, I have this nice charcoal suit and a black shirt to go with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that sounds very lovely, Kris! I love a good suit. If you prefer, you can always wear jeans with the black shirt and blazer. Then it becomes cool casual while showing off your nicest pieces!

    Good thought. I haven't yet decided which dress to wear, but definitely a dress or skirt. Just have to select one (or buy one!)

    Can't wait to see you! Oh, and thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. See you at SFContario, Marie! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is, you missed a GREAT Warnog party (even without the Throne of Kahless), in Halifax at Hal-Con.

    I think I have done pretty good on my own nickel; When Worlds Collide in Calgary; Spock Days in Vulcan; Dragon Con in Atlanta and Hal-Con in Halifax.

    Sorry I will not be at SFContario. Maybe next time. Good luck and have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it was awesome fun, Paul! I hope we'll meet again soon!

    ReplyDelete