Friday 17 April 2009

Princess of Light Book Launch

April 9 was the official day for the Princess of Light book launch, which was from 5 to 9 pm at Maxwell's in Ottawa. I was freaking out, I'll admit. What if no one shows up? What if no one buys my book? What if my hair does that weird flip thing that makes me look like I'm from outer space?

I panicked. I lost sleep. I even cried a bit. I'm not proud to admit it, but I did. And then I sang "Que sera, sera" and I felt much better.

Then the much anticipated and dreaded night came. We took over the entire second floor of the restaurant and, at five, almost no one was there. Then a cousin from Montreal, who I hadn't seen in forever, came. And then others. And others. And we had a blast!

I had over 100 books and sold them all, and a few more are on pre-order. Woo!

These are only a few of the elements that made the book signing a success:


A big pile of books

A cool venue

Pretty decorations

More pretty decorations

A cool promo product, like coasters (how smart was that? Not my idea!)

A dedicated PR staff
(and a camera that apparently takes pictures from one day into the future)

An event organizer with flair and the ability to track details

Friends who expect to work, not to have fun
(See their giant smiles? That was the beginning of the evening!)

A talented (and willing) musician

Friends who love to perform and entertain
(aka Kymeras)

A hostess with the mostest

A brother who says nice things
(and almost makes you ruin your non-waterproof make-up)
A sister-in-law who does photography, loves a baby AND looks good doing all of it

Family who's willing to travel to share in your day

A cool journalist/photographer who opens up other doors for you
(Thanks Matt Ott from Snap Ottawa!)

A dad and a stepmom with a video camera

And then... lots of people!

And people at the bar!

And a room full of people!

Loads and loads of people!

And a nephew that sleeps instead of bawls
And, on another but important note, pretty nails


And a pretty outfit, complete with cool boots and shiny skirt

The important ability to announce that you are indeed insane

The unnatural ability to enhance the colour of your book cover
(stylishly matched to your shirt, of course)

And last, but certainly not least...
MAGIC!

Thanks to everyone for making this book launch a success! Next: Warrior of Darkness!

1 comment:

  1. The party was simply FAB! Buy a book! It's FAB too. A journey to be savored. Truly.

    ReplyDelete