Sunday 24 April 2011

Your Story

Imagine you are writing a story.  Your hero will have good days.  And horrible ones.  Days filled with light and sunshine, and some so direly dark it's a wonder anyone gets through them.

There are demons, too, and faerie princesses with special powers.  There are lovers and enemies, sleepless nights and stormy weather, frightful days and then, out of nowhere, sunlit meadows.  They vanish again, because it's a story, and in this story trials must be faced and battles must be fought and victory isn't always just a step away, sometimes it's chapters, even books away, for the poor heroes stuck in trilogies or never-ending fantasy series.

Or maybe it's a romance.  Maybe it's a thriller that you're writing.  Or a mystery.  What about a sweeping epic?

Does it matter?  What matters is this: you have a hero.  You have someone in there, telling your story, living your story. You (YOU!), made a hero by yourself, with heroic traits and tragic downfalls, and sometimes you're in control and sometimes you're just not, because heroes have a way of taking over stories, and that's okay, because they have to do that to really, and I mean realllly, make it matter.

Now, take a step back and look at that story.  Look at that hero.

Imagine that story is your life, and that hero is you.  Imagine that you forge that hero every day through your choices and mistakes, your words and actions, your successes and failures, facing those dark days and dancing in those sunlit meadows, whatever shape they may take for you, whatever meaning they hold for you.

They're yours.

Because you're the hero.  And it's your story.

Make it a good one.

6 comments:

  1. This is the perfect pick-me up for me right now. :')
    I can tell that there is going to be a storm heading my way soon, but this will always be a reminder that I can make things better. Things will get better again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will get better, because you're awesome. Bookmark this page, and come back here when you forget how awesome you are. Look at this comment which tells you - YOU'RE AWESOME!

    I know these things, even when others might forget. It's my special skill. So you can always take my word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a skill you should hold on too! I really can't thank you enough for this. Sometimes that little reminder is all we need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, you really should take this and send it off to youth groups and agencies for teens in crisis. This is exactly the kind of thing they should be giving to those kids to help inspire them and let them know, that yeah things are dark right now, but they get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie! What a brilliant idea. I love this thought. It makes every day an adventure. It's also exciting to me to that you are a part of my story.
    Life is Good.
    "Happy Birthday."
    Francis

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kris - That would be great, I'll look into it! If you have any ideas or contacts, please feel free to pass it along. :)

    @Francis - I'm glad you're part of my story too, my friend. :D

    ReplyDelete