Tuesday 24 August 2010

After CAN-CON

On hiatus since 2001, CAN-CON was back this year.  Which was great, since Ottawa was in need of a local con.  It was amazing to see how many sci-fi fans there are in the area, especially knowing that this is only the first year.  Next year should see even more participants join,  following this year’s success.

From my point of view, as Guest of Honour, the con was a success.  It wasn’t huge, but it was also its first year.  It’s just a baby, and yet I believe there were more than 100 attendees – kudos to the organizers!

The con was a success because it offered everything that it’s supposed to offer: opportunities to network, talk business, share stories, learn new things, see old friends and meet new people.  On top of that, I personally enjoyed the shopping, chatting, eating (cookies!), wearing fun outfits and just the general great atmosphere of the con.  It was small and quaint, and it was completely worthwhile.

I met lots of great writers (both published and unpublished) and had an all around good time.  I can’t thank the con-com, volunteers, guests and participants enough for such a great weekend!

Ooh, and the launch of Destiny’s Blood was also a success.  Except the nachos were stale.   Regardless, I think people had a good time.  I’ll post pictures as soon as I have them!

5 comments:

  1. I agree on all points.

    A lot of people in the community had a wait-and-see attitude as to whether or not to attend Can*Con. Well, you all missed out! Come next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just incredible Marie! I'm so proud of all the work you've done, and sad that I wasn't watching from the beginning. All the best!

    -Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a fantastic time at the Con and really enjoyed your workshops and storytelling. I'm just starting out as a writer and events like this are a great way to learn and meet people. Listening to local authors such as yourself makes you realize a community is out there and it's a great way to get motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an awesome time Marie, count me in for next year as well. Go ahead and grab a few pics from my facebook page to post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salut Marie,

    It was great to meet you! I agree with you that this was a great con, with a surprisingly large group of people.

    Looking forward to read Destiny's Blood.

    ReplyDelete